Monday 29 April 2013

heritage hexagons

A couple of weeks ago I was foraging around in my usual habitat, i.e. a charity shop, when I struck gold in the form of an old quilt top. I thought this only happened to other people, like the fervent wish that I had when I was young for a pet monkey to follow me home..



it was hanging sadly amongst the polyester sheets and nasty bedspreads so I rescued it. It wasn't until I got it home that I started to think it must be quite old, and on Sunday I had the chance to show it to a knowledgeable friend, the very one who started me on this quilting lark in the first place. 




She was very excited- she thinks it might be old indeed and I have sent some pictures to an even more knowledgeable friend who is on the Quilter's Guild committee.




Its pretty big, about 8 feet by 6 feet, and ALL made by hand. I haven't got room to open it out completely, (it's folded in quarters in the picture above) and there are lots of tiny pieces of paper caught under the seams which I am trying not to lose. Maybe they might help to date it?





























I can't wait to hear what the expert thinks of it. I wonder who made it and how it ended up in a charity shop? 





All those hours of stitching (as I know from my own hexagon obsession!) and it wasn't valued when perhaps the maker died. Maybe I should put my unfinished hexie effort in my will now, just in case!

I'll be sure to share anything I find out!


2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...