Tuesday 16 July 2013

turning japanese


I have had a delicious piece of fabric 'burning a hole in my pocket' for a few weeks. Its a double gauze called 'doughnuts' from the muddy works collection by tomotake for kokka:








I wanted to make something that didn't have a lot of shaping in it, as that would break up the pattern too much, and I was thinking of a sort of loose 'japanese style' top which would make the most of the lovely floaty fabric.

I have had my eye on this Japanese pattern book, which is reviewed here:


along with others, with inspiring pictures of possibilities for different versions.

I was amazed recently to discover that ordinary dress patterns now cost about twelve pounds each, so this book will be worth buying even if I only make one garment!

I have finally got round to ordering it, but I couldn't wait to start on this project, and who knows how long the weather for floaty tops will last?

So I decided to make my own pattern, based on a top I already have.





I made a brown paper pattern, probably not the ideal material. but what I had to hand.



I am pleased with the result:



At first it hung rather baggily at the back, so I made a tucked panel in the small of the back, as I didn't want to break up the pattern with darts:

and although it does slip on over my head I couldn't resist adding a button detail at the back of the neck.

I'd definitely make this again, maybe a longer version with pockets in the seams to wear over jeans or leggings when the weather reverts to type!











3 comments:

  1. It's lovely I wish I was that clever! It's my favourite colour and just the job for this hot weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Carol...again. I wish I could do that, love it! I only managed the chequered flag bunting, and even then it's not finished. Can I live in your tree house please? xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this top Carol! I think I'm going to have to buy this book now - you've sold it to me! Jen x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...