Monday 29 July 2013

dressing up

I was very excited when the Japanese pattern books I ordered arrived. I decided to get two in the end, (might as well make the most of the Amazon delivery!)


I couldn't wait to make something so I decided to try out the dress on the front cover of the Stylish Dress Book, using a piece of spare material. On reflection I don't think the smock-like shape was right for me as I am a smallish and oldish person and what turned out to be the generous proportions of the dress made me look rather pregnant!


Apart from that, the instructions are nice and clear and the dress couldn't have been easier to make. All the patterns are included at full size, although you have to trace them from the multi-pattern sheets. This is easy once you get your eye in though, as each piece is clearly labelled in different colours. I used a roll of greaseproof paper for tracing, as it was what I had to hand. And of course once you have traced a pattern you have it ready for the next time.

I like the dress from the front, and think the pregnant look comes from the back being gathered onto the yoke. It might look better with a central pleat, or with a back cut from one piece of fabric, which I might try if I can be bothered to take it apart again!

 Just as well I only made it from an old sheet. Maybe I can find a younger or slightly more pregnant person to donate it to?

My enthusiasm is still undimmed though, and I can't wait to try some other patterns. I love the look of this ruffly top from the Simple Modern Sewing book:





































also this wraparound dress which can be made as a top too:

This book looks like good value, as each pattern can be adapted to make different garments by changing the length, the sleeves, etc. can't wait to make something else now!

2 comments:

  1. Looks good to me! Have you come across Harmony and Rosie's blog here: http://harmonyandrosie.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/dressmaking
    She uses these sort of patterns a lot from what I can remember and her results might interest you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely fabric. I'm not fond of the "pregnant" look, either, when I buy or make clothes. I hope you'll find the enthusiasm to make the proposed changes because that fabric and cut are really sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...