Monday 10 September 2012

what I do when I'm not sewing- The Beast!

The Beast lives in my fridge- its a sourdough starter for bread and its been there for a couple of years. As long as I remember to feed it some more flour and water now and then its perfectly happy....




so when we want some bread I take out a spoonful and feed it up for a couple of days in a nice warm place until its bubbling, then its ready to use for making the best bread in the world!



Sometimes I add extra tasty things- the loaf on the left has green olives and oregano in it. Almost the best part is the delicious smell, and the sound of the crust crackling as it cools...


I use an adaptation of a recipe from this brilliant book by Tom Jaine. You can see from the state of it how much use it gets..



.. and what does Mr P do?



2 comments:

  1. Your bread looks delicious. I used to make all my own bread at one time but we have so many really good bakers round here all making delicious bread that I don't do it as often these days. I have Bread Matters from the library just now and it is an interesting read written by the baker from the Village Bakery in the Lake District who makes great things. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bread-Matters-Why-Make-Your/dp/0007298498 check it out you would probably enjoy it too.

    I am curious as to what MrP does - is it that he eats plenty of fruit or that he makes lovely wooden bowls?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aha yes he does eat plenty of fruit, but he also makes wooden bowls!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...