Tuesday 19 November 2013

painting with fabric

I have been doing a bit of 'painting with fabric'... (this picture with a little help from photoshop)




This quilt:

http://molebags.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/ditzy-prints-updated.html

has been in the back of my mind, and the back of the cupboard, for ages, so now we've got the room re-organised, I've decided to just slap the blocks up on the wall, stop looking at the fabric neatly folded up, and cut it up! That's what its for, after all. And any bits that don't fit in here will no doubt fit in somewhere else..





Its very freeing (is freeing a word??) to allow the right side of the brain to play, taking advantage of one of my favourite things, serendipity. Bits that come together by chance are sometimes the most successful.

Thinking about Howard Hodgkin, or Matisse paper cutouts- pure blocks of colour, rather different from the muted browns in my last post.










I'm also not worrying about how I'll join it all together- in fact I'm thinking there will be some raw edges that will fray over time, no doubt influenced by the ruffle-necked tops I've been making. (A third one nearly finished- I think I'm addicted!) 






































..and I have also been applying the law of serendipity to some tiny landscapes on christmas cards, which may find their way into the next pop-up shop!



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...