Saturday 24 August 2013

ruffled

Do you know the feeling where you find a pattern for something that looks really exciting, and you can't wait to make it? I have been looking forward to making this ruffled top from the Simple Modern Sewing book that I bought recently.



This meant a trip to the wonderful Eternal Maker to choose fabric, and they had just the sort of thing I had in mind. I think its a Japanese fabric, but it had lost its label so I can't tell you its name!



I wanted something which looked good on the front and on the back because both sides would show on the ruffle, which is left with a raw edge so that it frays a little (although not too much because it's cut on the bias).



The top was quick and easy to make, just two simple body pieces, and the strips for the ruffle. The neck and armholes are bound with bias strips, and then the ruffle added at the end (not without some swearing as I tried to gather it to just the right length..) 

Mr P thought I would look like a bumblebee with the stripes going horizontally, but I am pleased with the look.





I love this top, it worked out just as I had visualised, which doesn't always happen. I already have ideas for another one, and I'm going to wear it with a thin long sleeved top underneath in the winter too.



























After celebrating with a Nice Cup Of Tea, we had a lovely evening walk around the field at the end of our garden, which had just been harvested. Our shadows came with us, elongated by the golden evening light.



























p.s. isn't 'ruffled' a nice word? Ruffled...ruffled... very onomatopoeic. It also makes me think of chocolate raspberry ruffle bars from my school tuckshop days, wonder if they still exist?

5 comments:

  1. It looks great. I am not sure these days if I should still wear sleeveless tops - is there a cut off point for such things I wonder. Look forward to seeing mark II with long sleeved top beneath. Ruffled is a lovely word and brings to mind breeze on water, but can't say I ever remember a raspberry ruffle myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wore this top last weekend over a long sleeved black t shirt, very pleased with the look, even on a wrinkly like me! C x

      Delete
  2. Me again - just checked what a Raspberry Ruffle was and see you can still buy them. Just Google Raspberry Ruffles and see what you get! And no I don't think I ever had one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Carol x Loving the top, want one please, pretty please. I remember that I had a raspberry ruffle from Woolworths, wrapped in red cellophane, it had dark chocolate, and it was a bit 'dry'............along with a chocolate lime and one of those horrible fruit bon- bon things! Memories.... Cremola Foam! Oh dear........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah cremola foam- I remember having a fit of the giggles whilst drinking that, and it all came down my nose! (I was about 8)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...