Wednesday 26 June 2013

the steam car lovers quilt

I have finished the quilt for my friend's steam car loving husband:


and I'm pleased with it. I enjoyed the challenge of making something using a theme and colours I would never have chosen myself. 








It took a lot of internet searching to find fabric that featured pictures of steam cars, (thank you, Frumble!)
www.frumble.co.uk 
and I also used photographs of the car itself which I printed onto fabric by ironing the fabric on to freezer paper and putting it through the printer (with many crumpled pages and much swearing ).




Each nine inch square block is randomly pieced and then trimmed to size, and the machine quilting follows these seams, then I added hand stitching in perle 8 cotton.



The back is soft brushed cotton, with a panel of old cars from a vintage cushion cover.



I hope he has many happy hours of snoozing under it on the sofa!




1 comment:

  1. It's sure to be appreciated - it's lovely and I like the random blocks. Did you do anything to "set" the photos when you printed them onto the fabric? I tried using freezer paper and putting fabric through the printer but later discovered that the images were not fast if washed.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...